|Official Press Release|
Glastonbury, CT June 20, 2012. ZRink - Killingworth Guppies Summer 2012 season.
06/20/2012- It was a hot one outside the ZRink Wednesday evening as the Guppies faced off against Mean Machine (MM) but, it couldn't compete with the heated rivalry inside. The crowd poured into the sold out sports facility for a good old fashion grudge match. The Guppies would strike first when rookie Mike DiClemente (2-0-2) skated down the dek, cut to the middle, and fired a shot to the far side. It looked easy enough but goals were hard to come by all night as both Goaltenders made some great saves. Not to mention several misfired pucks that didn't come close to the net. The Mean Machine would score two quick goals to take the 2-1 lead. However, the Guppies were quick to answer as Tim Poulin (1-0-1) took a pass from Marc Crayton (0-1-1) and buried it into the MM's net. The Guppies hadn't taken a penalty in the past TWO weeks, which has led to the previous week's First goal scorers (Kelly and Murph) responsible for the last two 30 Packs. Several player notified "the new guy" DiClemente of the situation. With the stunned rookie wondering why he would have to buy a 30Pack for scoring a goal, Keith Millen took one for the team and Mike. In the final seconds of the half he mistakenly high sticked a MM player. Thus, taking Mike off the Hook. In a post game interview DiClemente had this to say "Thanks!". At the Half it was tied at two.
The Guppies started to Second Half by killing off the remainder of Millen's double minor. After that the Fish went on the attack! Both teams traded scoring opportunities with no luck. Finally, the Guppies found some! Brian Mulcahy (after missing a wide open net) had the puck in the corner, then fed a great pass to Rob Murphy (1-1-2) on the point. Murph fired a rising shot that deflected down and bounced into the Machine's net. Up 3-2, the Guppies pushed to get the all important fourth goal! Meanwhile, MM looked to tie the game at Three. At one point It looked as if The Machine had the game tying goal on their stick. That's until Greg Marshall (45 Saves; 47 Shots) made the biggest save of the night. Diving back towards his net and making an impossible stick save! Things got chippie towards the end of the game until DiClemente scored the empty netter and secured the Guppies win!
The Gupps face off against the Hurleys next Wednesday night at 9pm. Tickets are still available!
- Brian Blair was a Healthy Scratch!
- Close Call!! After proclaiming he "Never" gets beat Glove side high, in the locker room prior to Wednesday's game. Marshy found some help from his post on the first shot he faced. A shot high to the glove side eluded his glove but caught some serious iron before it left the playing surface.
- Yet another nickname has been born for Guppies forward Brian Mulcahy (aka: Rello, aka: fong, aka: Mulcahy, aka: D.O.T.). after DA point out that Rello looked like a smaller version of Dwayne "The Rock" Johnson. So, the nickname "The Pebble" has been unveiled!
- After swearing off post game drinks at "Chi Sams"....Several Guppie players were seen there late night. Not only that, they stepped up their game ordering several rounds of shots!
- Happy B-day to Guppies Defenseman Marc Crayton. Cray turns 42 this week....Ouch, that's OLD!
|16:07 - Guppies - Goal - DiClemente (Kelly, Murphy) 1-0|
|12:49 - Mean Mach - Goal - Arscott 1-1|
|11:44 - Mean Mach - Goal - Bussiere (Lessard, Arscott) 1-2|
|11:10 - Guppies - Goal - Poulin (Crayton, Armenai) 2-2|
|:25 - Guppies - Penalty - Millen (High Stick) Double Minor 30Pack|